People love living in south central Indiana and southeastern Illinois. In addition to our historic sites, unexpected architecture, and miles of trails, people who reside here benefit from low-cost education, housing, recreation, and healthcare options. Explore our region using this unique itinerary that will guide you to highlights and points of interest.
Quality of Life Elements
- Award-winning public and private schools and more than 130 colleges and universities
- A cost of living 13% below the national average
- An abundance of culture, arts, and recreation, including state parks, wineries, historic theaters, museums, symphony orchestras, zoos, and an aquarium
- Leading healthcare institutions, including Indiana University Health, St. Vincent Health Network, and multiple regional assets
- Close to several metropolitan areas, including Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, and St. Louis
Culture & Recreation
Our residents enjoy a lifestyle rich in recreation, entertainment, and cultural experiences. There’s no shortage of things to do for the whole family, whether you live in south central Indiana or southeastern Illinois.
- Explore and find things to do in Indiana
- Find and download the Indiana Recreation Guide
- Explore and find things to do in Illinois
Housing costs are favorable in the Hoosier Energy Region. According to Zillow, the median home price in Indiana is $184,900, and in Illinois, $236,490. The national median home price is $280,000. Use this Business Insider article to examine the most affordable and expensive places to live in the U.S.
- Illinois Property Tax Rates by County
- Illinois Real Estate Finder
- Indiana Property Tax Rates by County
- Indiana Real Estate Finder
- Median price for new homes sold in the U.S.
- U.S. households: owner-occupied vs. renter-occupied
Healthcare and general wellness are priorities for all counties located in the Hoosier Energy Region. From leading hospitals and medical centers to nutrition programs, residents have access to quality professionals and practitioners and a myriad of helpful resources.
- Find Indiana hospitals listed by city and county
- Find Illinois hospitals listed alphabetically
- INSHAPE is a professional association for those dedicated to the promotion of quality health, physical education, sport, dance, and fitness in public and private schools, colleges and universities, and community agencies throughout Indiana. Visit the INSHAPE website.
- We Choose Health – An Illinois Department of Public Health initiative to encourage and support the implementation of proactive health programs in Illinois. Visit the We Choose Health website.